**Update on diet changes & RA

*Update* I am having huge successes in alleviating my symptoms from changing my diet!! Please if you are visiting and have RA...try this. Or contact me... I am not only a mission to fix myself but to help others!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

3rd time's a charm?

I haven't been very successful in speeding up the clearing of this recent flare.  Every morning when I open my eyes, I think "today is the day"  and then I attempt a fist and realize that I am wrong.  So desperate times call for desperate measures!  Back to Day 1. 

I had a bit of a debate with my husband over the weekend about my approach.  I think that it is hard for people to imagine how difficult it is to just eat 4 or 5 foods day after day when they are eating whatever they want.

See, the problem isn't cravings, those went away quite quickly.  The problem that I am having is, I have re-introduced foods from what I thought were safe from my first round that I don't know for sure if they ever were.  I then went and got food sensitivity testing and while I believe that was useful, I have done what I said I wouldn't do... used it as a short cut. 

He saw me blending frozen peaches with blueberries and asked me when I tested blueberries.  I couldn't really answer him.  I just knew that I had them before and I didn't believe they caused a problem.  He is taking a more scientific approach and that's the approach I need to take.  1 food per 4 days, no exceptions.  No change in cooking oils or seasonings, just food in it's purest form.  And document, document, document.  Write everything down so there won't ever be a doubt or question of which foods are the offenders.  Makes very logical sense!

I'm mad at myself for half assing this process even though it doesn't feel like I have...but I have.  This is day 41.  In 41 days I have only put healthy low allergenic foods in my mouth (with the exception of those 2 damn arrowroots!) I have not consumed a drop of dairy, wheat, gluten or sugar.  I have only consumed sweet potato, celery, carrots, chicken, eggs, nuts, blueberries, raspberries and apples.  Oh and coffee!! 

It's only a matter of time until I get this right!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen ....you have done extremely well so far!!! It must be frustrating to have to go back, but you will find the food that is the culpert! I so get what you mean.. eatining the same foods day after day is VERY TOUGH. I look at seasonings in a whole differnt way:) You are very lucky to have a supporative husband. My familly supports what I am doing to. Sooo 3rd time WILL be a charm for you! Just think of all the knowledge you will have to help someone else . Your blog has been a great inspiration me.!!! Keep going & good luck:)
    Moe

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you taking any medications still? they may contain corn which was on your possible culprit list...I know my meds have corn starch. Are there any supplements you are taking? If so, What do they contain? Just things to note. I dread the day I start the diet and at the same time am intrigued to try it all as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Moe: Thanks for your encouraging words!! You inspire me too!!! I'm so glad that you are having success on this elimination diet too! I look forward to your posts!

    @ Nat: Great point!! I just googled what is in prednisone and corn is in it!!!! I have stopped all of my meds other than prednisone. I am taking a very small dose (2.5mg) as it's too dangerous to just stop it. What I need is to get a prescription for 1mg pills and ween off it. I'm a little scared to see my rheumatologist as I don't think he's going to support me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jen. It looks to me like you are eating foods that can cause inflammation. Try eliminating nuts - you didn't say if peanuts or tree nuts , it can make a diffrence - and blueberries. Eggs cause some people problems and sometimes chicken does , too. Whatever you ate a lot of pre-diet should probably be eliminated now. If you change out these foods for others, even one at a time, you can expand your diet as you keep experimenting. Sorry this isn't easier, but boy! is it worth it.

    Cameron Salisbury

    ReplyDelete