**Update on diet changes & RA

*Update* I am having huge successes in alleviating my symptoms from changing my diet!! Please if you are visiting and have RA...try this. Or contact me... I am not only a mission to fix myself but to help others!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 12

Well I must say that I really enjoy posting my success on this blog.  It is neat to know that some friends and family check it!  I really do hope to help in getting the word out there to other sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis.

In fact I posted a message with my blog url directly on the Arthritis Society message boards.  I figured why not?  I've had a few replies of encouragement, and even a nasty message saying there isn't a link between food and RA.  I truly believe otherwise.  Not only have I read other people's blogs who have been helped through diet ( http://www.arthritis-alternatives.com/) and (http://jhackett_ra.tripod.com/story.html) but I have been researching my butt off for the last year on which foods cause inflammation in the body and which ones reduce it.  

Yesterday I added a heaping teaspoon of brown raw sugar to my coffee which I drank late in the day.  This morning I noticed I had a little swelling in my baby finger.  All of my other fingers and feet are still great.  I am going to stay away for about 3-4 days and try it again to see.  The thought of being intolerant/allergic to sugar is a bit scary- I eat healthy normally but I love my desserts.   Does anyone have any recipes for dessert type foods that have zero sugar?  Anyone..anyone?? 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    At first I cut out sugar entirely. Now I tolerate honey but really, small amounts are best. Occasionally I will splurge a bit but I'll pay for it in the morning! I do not eat much fruit... maybe a single serving of fruit 2-3 times per week.

    I've been using Truvia occasionally if I make something like lemonade. It's easiest on the digestive system. I don't use Splenda packets or granulated because it's full of corn and I'm totally grain free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I'm so glad to hear that you're getting some relief through your diet. Food and diet are connected to everything!

    As for sugar-free alternatives, you could definitely look into stevia. I prefer honey sweetened desserts myself since stevia has a bit of an aftertaste. But it's a good option if you want to go sugar-free. Just be on the lookout for additives and such. I use this one: http://www.iherb.com/Wisdom-Natural-SweetLeaf-Liquid-Stevia-Vanilla-Creme-2-fl-oz-60-ml/11070?at=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Susan : Thanks for the tips. I can't seem to find truvia anywhere. I didn't realize that there was corn in splenda! I still have lots of research to do!

    @ Christy : Thanks! Now I just need some good recipes with allowed foods to put the stevia in! And I agree that food and diet are connected to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, check out http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/. She bakes a lot with stevia. She also uses honey and agave. And her recipes are really delicious. She's GF/CF so no wheat, gluten, dairy, or sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super- thank you! What a great site she has!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen,

    Ignore the nasty poster on the RA site. If it's working for you, that is all the validation you need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Karen- thanks :) I was warned that there would be "not to supportive" people on there! Thanks for your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, they meant Reva P who was the one that wrote there was no connection between RA and food. She is known as a bit of a grumpy gus!

    ReplyDelete